[ba-ohs-talk] Towards an OHS Manifesto that Enables KM

Jack and Johannes,    (01)

This is a good discussion on advancing technology.  My sense is that if you
improve learning by converting information into knowledge, this is the modern
equivalent of turning straw into gold, and so is useful for kids and adults.
Recall discussion on 011029 about benefits of continual learning in light of
social pressures in the work place that suppress knowledge due to fear of
accountability, explained on 991108.    (02)

So, not only is there the sales battle of learning a new way of working that
saves 10:1 relative to existing methods, as Johannes points out today, strong
leadership is needed that helps people overcome what Friedman calls the Tyranny
of the Status Quo, and Grove characterizes as "walking through the valley of
death."    (03)

Take slight issue, or perhaps just saying things a little differently on
benefits of KM for repetitive tasks.      (04)

One of the more interesting discoveries using organizational memory is to
discover useful patterns of conduct at low levels of detail which are otherwise
hidden by the "fog of war" syndrome we all face day-to-day.  When we receive a
letter, or craft a letter like this, we have a particular point of view bound by
near-term events.  Similarly, when we make a phone call, design a detail for a
structure, plan a meeting, write some code, or mow the lawn, the meaning of our
action is narrowly focused on near-term objectives.  The organic theory of
knowledge recognizes that assembling otherwise inert information into
chronologies for various contexts discloses repeatable patterns over long time
spans that otherwise are only discoverable by trial and error, often calamity at
great cost.           (05)

In other words, when we assemble the record on a subject over long time spans,
we are often surprised to discover how often certain things appear together that
impart cause and effect, which seem wholly unrelated but for the process that
produces the record.  Such insights involve huge savings of time and money,
because oversight leads to crisis and calamity, which will later be attributed
to Murphy's Law to excuse earlier decisions to avoid good management in hopes of
saving the cost of "overkill."      (06)

So, one might say that finding useful repeatable patterns in unstructured
information that comprises the majority (about 99%) of human affairs, might be a
useful advantage of adding "intelligence" to information for saving time and
money.  The challenge is getting people to believe in deferred rewards of
knowledge, as folks presently believe in the immediate, but much smaller,
rewards of information.  Helping people experience the power of turing straw
into gold is the sales challenge for KM.     (07)

Rod    (08)