Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Peer-to-what-peer?

On Fri, 2001-12-28 at 04:17, Henry K van Eyken wrote:

> Another book, apparently interesting, "Ingenuity" by some prof in British Columbia. I
> understand from dinner conversation that  it is about the increasing difficulty of
> solving complex problems because they require peer-to-someone_else's_peer
> interaction. In other words, we need to be able to make ourselves clear to other
> people's peers. I also have an old item in Fleabyte named, "Wanted scientists trained
> in both biology and computer science." (The source was a June 1999 issue of The
> Economist.)
>     (01)

The book is "The Ingenuity Gap" by Thomas Homer-Dixon, a professor at
the University of Toronto.  The book won the 2001 Canadian Governor
General's Award for Non-Fiction.  You can check it out at:
http://ingenuitygap.com    (02)

It turns out that the "some prof in British Columbia" reference better
describes me now.  More on that later... ;-)    (03)

Lee Iverson
leei@telus.net                 #105-2700 Acadia Rd., Vancouver B.C. V6T
1R9
http://www.ai.sri.com/~leei/   (604) 222-9312    (04)