Re: [ba-ohs-talk] IBIS question

The Compendium approach has sought to extend the usefulness of IBIS, in
part by providing an alternative set of structures and templates to use in
the types of situations Johannes describes. One of the fundamental premises
of Compendium is that "modeling" types of approaches (structured frameworks
derived from engineering and other analytical disciplines) can interweave
with IBIS in all sorts of useful ways. These are explored and illustrated
in a number of papers that can be found on the <a href =
http://www.compendiuminstitute.org/library/papers.htm>Compendium
Institute</a> site.    (01)

Coming up with the best representation for the scenario below would depend
on a set of situational factors, such as the composition of the group, the
amount of time they have, the skills and backgrounds, the downstream
audience, etc. What (in general) a Compendium practitioner would prescribe,
though, would be a set of templates that decompose the problem and solution
into component parts that could be represented (and referred to)
separately. For example, a "timing" model would show the sequence of
Alternative 1 and Alternative 2. The rationale for the timing can be
modeled (using IBIS) on that 'map'. The nature and pieces, though, of
Alternative 1 and 2 themselves would be modeled separately in "task" or
"object" models, as would the "customers", "ROI" calculations and
assumptions, etc. What makes this all work is the transclusive linking of
the nodes representing Alternative 1 and 2 in all these different contexts;
at a glance (or right-click) the user can see all the different dimensions
of the problem and how the alternatives play into those dimensions.    (02)

This is easier to see in practice than in the above explanation, of course.    (03)

Al    (04)

Johannes Ernst <jernst@r-objects.com>@bootstrap.org on 01/28/2002 01:00:57
AM    (05)

Please respond to ba-ohs-talk@bootstrap.org    (06)