Re: [ba-ohs-talk] open source question

	     As I see it, an OHS is the process of making
	     connections between ideas. It is a tool that
	     facilitates those connections.    (01)

	     One of the things we want to grow and evolve
	     is the process of how we make those connections.    (02)

	     If the source is closed, then the reasoning about
	     the process is also closed. Which breaks the whole
	     idea behind OHS in the first place....    (03)

	     In addition, it increases the chances that OHS
	     will not be adopted by other organizations.    (04)

Johannes Ernst <jernst@r-objects.com> writes:    (05)

 % I'm trying to understand the reasoning why some/many/most/few(?)
 % people believe that a broadly adopted / adoptable OHS
 % should/could/must(?) be licensed under an Open Source license, and I
 % would appreciate your insights, either to the list or to me
 % individually.
 %
 % Here are some reasons that are commonly mentioned on why Open Source
 % vs. something else. Which ones are the uniquely important ones as it
 % relates to OHS? What am I missing? (I am interested in the arguments
 % unique to OHS, not a general open-source discussion of which we all
 % have seen too many before ;-))
 %
 % 1) Open Source software tends to have less bugs and be more secure
 % that Closed Source because of the constant source code peer review.
 % (the "quality argument")
 %
 % 2) Open Source products are more innovative because more brains with
 % more backgrounds can add more new, innovative things to the product
 % more quickly than possible if one vendor keeps control. (the
 % "innovation argument")
 %
 % 3) Open Source products can be distributed for free, and thus can be
 % used by users/organizations that cannot afford the purchase / license
 % of non-free software. (the "price argument")
 %
 % 4) Open Source products will not, ever, "go out of business" like a
 % traditional software company or an unprofitable product line can.
 % (the "no dead-end argument")
 %
 % I mostly hear the price argument in the context of OHS, but that
 % can't be all of it -- just changing the list price in different
 % countries, or for different purchasers (e.g. schools) would solve
 % that issue as well, and does not necessarily imply Open Source. So
 % what is it about OHS that requires Open Source? I appreciate your
 % insights ...
 %
 % Cheers,
 %
 %
 % Johannes Ernst
 % R-Objects Inc.    (06)

-----
CEO PEAK -              .           computers and the Internet
Public Electronic         .            more effectively
Access to Knowledge,Inc       .
1600 SW Western, Suite 180       .            Internet: sechrest@peak.org
Corvallis Oregon 97333               .                  (541) 754-7325
                                            . http://www.peak.org/~sechrest    (07)