Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Fwd: Linux at Sun: The Big Push

Murray Altheim wrote:    (01)

> Eric Armstrong wrote:
>
> > Sight unseen, I have to agree with your assessment. Only lack of
> > space and time keep me from getting one.
> >
> > The combination of a great GUI that learned a few lessons from
> > Windows, a great object-oriented programming api that learned a
> > few lessons from NeXT, and a great scripting-shell that learned
> > a few lessons from Unix, all add up to a developer's dream.
>
> Well, not entirely, unless the developers' tools available on OS X
> or BSD compete with those on Solaris, Windows, or linux. I've not
> seen that they do, and I'm not interested in developing solely for
> OS X.    (02)

Good point. It is a great system for *developers* precisely because
of the opportunities to create Java-based apps, which will make it
a great system for users -- once the JVM is available -- and the
development tools are there -- and performance isn't an issue --
and....    (03)