Re: [ba-ohs-talk] REST -- Representational State Transfer -- the Web

I think what Paul describes is somewhat revolutionary -- though we've
unwittingly already accepted most all of it -- and very important in
distributed knowledge systems. Essentially, Paul promotes the idea of
URIs (ie., URLs and URNs) as the key technology of the Web, not HTML or
HTTP. The idea is that URIs form the basis of resource identification,
and that resource addressability is the *real* key to information
interchange. The XML Topic Map design is very much in line with this
view, using Published Subject Indicators (PSIs, which are simply stable
URIs) as subject/resource identifiers. I'm basing my Ceryle system
around the idea that *everything* in the system (from the author-
created resources/notes, the ontologies, the mappings between them,
etc.) all are addressable. The glue connecting (ie., mapping) them all
together in my project is XTM.    (01)

Jack Park wrote:    (02)

> http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2002/02/20/rest.html
>
> Something to think about regarding the notion of "AddressableThing"
[re: article on xml.com by Paul Prescod...]    (03)

Murray    (04)

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (05)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (06)