Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Possible D3E improvement

Peter Jones wrote:    (01)

> I was hoping to do this all by myself and claim some kudos/glory but I think
> it is probably faster and better for the cause to just point it out anyway.
>
> A while back I posted this mail
> http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/ba-unrev-talk/0202/msg00002.html
> recommending that someone approach these people at the URL mentioned here
> (see http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/ba-unrev-talk/0202/msg00002.html#nid02)
>   [look everyone, I'm referring to a paragraph id!]
> concerning their use of a tool to support their conference on
> Global Ethics and Sustainable Development.
>
> This set me thinking about D3E and how it would support such a discussion.
> It occurred to me that if (in the manner of the archives that Eugene has set
> up for bootstrap.org) any reply could be fed into the system as a new URL
> that would come up to receive comment in the left-hand pane, then you would
> have a cool tool.
> Also, if a reply could be either a new comment or a URL for a site, people
> could link in longer commentary as they saw fit.
> This would raise the issue of which thread of discussion a URL appeared in
> though, as its import, and any commentary spawning from it, would shift
> depending on where you came from to look at it. (Now there's one for the
> semiologists to discuss, but maybe they need a new tool ... ;-)
> That implies that mere addressability might not be enough, you need to know
> where someone is coming from too.
> I believe there are some website detection/logging tools that can do that
> but I can't confirm their utility with respect to this issue.
> Has anyone used this approach?    (02)

I've been thinking about similar issues for a few months, and with     (03)

the last project at Sun being based on a data store in Xindice (NEE dbXML),
if one were to store all content in such an XML database, one with XPath
functionality (as with Xindice), it isn't too far a stretch to be able
to pull *only* the transcluded/referenced content from a larger document
via an XPath expression.    (04)

The code that is/will be released with Sun's "Java WSDP Registry Server
1.0 EA 1" project includes a GUI demo application called "Indri" which
I wrote as a front end to a Xindice database, using an API I have hoped
to submit to Apache called XNode (which is a SOAP-like wrapper for XML
content going into Xindice). The essential XPath functionality is all
there (hint hint Peter, Eugene and Jack). I'm using Xindice in my
Ceryle project.    (05)

Here's the link to the Java Web Services Pack:    (06)

   http://java.sun.com/webservices/downloads/webservicespack.html    (07)

Unfortunately, the thing is a 21MB monster, but does give you the
latest copies of Xindice, Xerces, Xalan, and a bunch of other useful
XML tools. Just getting a complete package of the latest Xindice code
working with the latest Xerces, etc. was a bit of a feat (believe me).    (08)

Murray    (09)

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK    (010)

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (011)