RE: [ba-ohs-talk] New backlink metadata; mhpurple v0.2 released

There's another pragmatic barrier, as desirable as this practice is, and as
valuable it becomes.    (01)

There is presently resistance to HTML-formatted e-mail, and there are not
consistent implementations for it.    (02)

For example, I don't accept HTML e-mail wherever I have the choice, and I
generally do not intentionally originate HTML-formatted e-mail.  (This
message, including the clipping from Gary's mail is in plain text.    (03)

The practice, for me, stems from having gotten gun shy about e-mail carried
scripts and also about having to be on-line in order for HTML-formatted
e-mails to be complete and readable.  (That my reading can be tracked and
that I am subjected to unwanted advertising are further complications.)
Also, the HTML-carrying e-mails don't always arrive at the desks of others
in the intended form, and some people are annoyed by the fact that it may
appear to be both a plain-text and an HTML message packaged together.    (04)

I don't think that this is a fatal problem, just a current socio-technical
obstruction.  It's a demonstration of coherence issues in how SMTP e-mail is
overloaded as a carrier of specialized texts that don't work end-to-end, but
the barriers are about more than that right now.    (05)

If there were a consistent way to establish trustworthiness / authenticity
of non-simple e-mails, that might help.  But then there is the need for even
more special-purpose, out-of-band agreements, unless there is a global
solution at hand.  I don't see a global approach being bothered with at the
moment.    (06)

And I like purple numbers a lot.  But not so much that I will risk opening
up my in-box to arbitrary HTML-formatted mail.    (07)

-- Dennis    (08)