RE: [ba-ohs-talk] More powerful web editing [was Wiki experiences?]

Chris:    (01)

Pasted below are the contents of a simple HTML file that demonstrates
the WYSIWYG editor in IE 5.5 for Windows.    (02)

Saving the user's modifications back to the server is a different story.
You're going to need client-side JavaScript to read the .innerHTML value
from the span, and put it somewhere. Perhaps you could write it to a
hidden variable in an HTML form, post it to the server, and then have
the server save it somewhere. In my application, I put it into a
client-side dataset that gets posted back to the server, where I save
changes to a database.    (03)

Where might this WYSIWYG editing be used? For example, Sparrow Web
implements editable web pages. Some browser detection would first be
necessary to determine whether the user has IE 5.5 or 6.0. They already
have a whole bunch of editor components, so I expect they've implemented
some that use CONTENTEDITABLE on IE. Or, check out Radio Userland for
another example of a commercial product using this feature. They use a
slightly different implementation than SPAN and DIV. I think Radio's
implementation also works with IE 5.0.    (04)

In general, some users much prefer it, but others might hate it. By
default, I've got WYSIWYG editing turned off in my application. I expect
to implement a new feature where it will be turned on by default.    (05)

Hope this helps,    (06)

Michael    (07)

<head>
<title>MSHTML Test - for IE 5.5 and 6.0 on Windows</title>
</head>
<h3>MSHTML Test - for IE 5.5 and 6.0 on Windows</h3>
free to <strong>modify</strong> this  text. Saving changes back to the
<button onclick="alert(myspan.innerHTML);">Show Edited Contents</button>