[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] Indexes: Main | Date | Thread | Author

Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Co-authoring [was: Learning Groove]

Thanks, Murray. The organization of the Flesbyte archive IS a problem that needs to be
addressed pretty soon so I will see what I can learn from these KMI Planet people.    (01)

The co-authoring problem, if you don't mind, I am going to set it aside for a moment
until I can breathe a bit more freely.    (02)

Just, for the record, my personal feelings about MS vs alternative operating systems.
Ultimately it is the judicial interpretation of the law of the land that decides what
goes and what doesn't. But as a person I am caught between the need to use Windows and
my aversion to certain business practices. Mind you, I think that the other big players
in the field are no pussycats either! So, I am somewhat with Eugene in the sense of not
being overly religious about things, but will do my best, within my limitations, to
migrate as much as possible away from MS.    (03)

In this attempt, and to get a better feel of things I recently purchase a
desktop-specific distribution of Linux. The info made me believe that all was going to
be roses. Well: it doesn't recognize nor does it let me install my modem, it doesn't
recognize LS-120, and I didn't know what to do with Xine. The last item made me feel
pretty stupid, but I am glad to learn I am in the expert company of Eugene on that one!
At any rate, back to Red Hat 7.2 and try to figure out how to bring all my clumps of
email together into one wholesome package. The message, though, is that when people sell
distributions that do not meet customer expectations, they play in the hands of MS.
Pity.    (04)

Henry    (05)

Murray Altheim wrote:    (06)

> Henry K van Eyken wrote:
>
> > Much appreciated, Murray.
> >
> > I have a few things on my plate this day, but I like to give this a try.
> >
> > Basically, I have a contributor who supplied a lot of material over time. There is
> > a lot of duplication in it. The aim is to extract from this concise information
> > and turn it into an article. All this could be done by emailing back and forth,
> > but it would seem that a fair amount of the job is easier done by working together
> > in real-time; the parts where you decide what is in, what is out. So you want to
> > share a couple of windows (for original material, for clippings from it, maybe for
> > a listing, and have a conversation window; perhaps with a way of tabbing back and
> > forth between them so that you don't work within tiny windows). I have some
> > difficulty with top-down thinking for operations like this. I guess that as soon
> > as you use it you want to improve it, but I imagine that what I have described is
> > close.
> >
> > I'll see if I can give a better answer.
>
> Not strictly related, but a working project here at KMi comes to
> mind:
>
>     http://news.kmi.open.ac.uk/kmiplanet/
>
> This is a server that generates an online news system provided with
> emails as source material, from a pool of allowed authors. What you
> see online is maintained solely by the KMI Planet server. Pretty
> cool. Because of the success of KMI Planet, there began to be a
> knowledge management problem in locating and navigating the many
> articles in the system. In reaction,
>
>    "To address these challenges we have developed an integrated
>     suite of tools, which is called PlanetOnto. These tools allow
>     ontology-driven document formalization and augment standard
>     browsing and search facilities with deductive knowledge
>     retrieval. In addition, the PlanetOnto architecture includes
>     specialized agents, which provide personalized news feeds and
>     alerts and can proactively identify potentially interesting
>     news items."
>
> See:
>
>     KMi's PlanetOnto project
>     http://kmi.open.ac.uk/projects/planetonto/
>
> I think there is a lot of potential here, either directly or as
> source of good ideas.
>
> Murray
>
> ......................................................................
> Murray Altheim                         <mailto:m.altheim @ open.ac.uk>
> Knowledge Media Institute
> The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK
>
>       In the evening
>       The rice leaves in the garden
>       Rustle in the autumn wind
>       That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu    (07)