[ba-ohs-talk] Keyword Indexing to Improve Email and IT

John,    (01)

Thanks for the reference to Tacit and for sharing reaction to their
presentation at a professional event.  The demonstration of Tacit at
the Internet address you submitted did not demonstrate improvement to
email and IT nor show how keyword indexing can be improved to enable
KM. There was a voice explanation that Tacit product lines contribute
to these objectives.    (02)

Company goals and products are described by Tacit as....    (03)

"Tacit's products, including its award-winning flagship product,
KnowledgeMail™, automatically and continuously inventory the skills
and talents of your entire organization, so people can dynamically
find and connect with the expertise they need - when they need it to
make
decisions, solve problems, and serve customers.    (04)

Tacit's expertise automation technology is critical to any
organization whose goals include speed, efficiency, profit, and
competitive advantage."    (05)

Inventorying skills and talents to dynamically find and connect with
expertise is an important capability, and may help organize the
record.  Since organization is part of adding intelligence to
information for creating useful knowledge that saves time and money,
and since saving time and money for customers is a goal Tacit sets, if
Tacit could organize the record in addition to inventorying talents
and expertise of people, then Tacit would say so and demonstrate it
has mastered this capability already as you comment today.      (06)

Perhaps there is another section of Tacit that covers this.  It is
always dangerous to make determinations based on casual review.  In
fact a key part of KM is to enable thorough review in less time, as
Eric Armstrong urged in a letter on 011003.....    (07)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/10/03/160603.HTM#EC5N    (08)

Tacit accomplishes this requirement for finding talent and expertise.
Again, since the cost advantages of KM are so large (e.g., 10:1
reported in a study on 971007....    (09)

http://www.welchco.com/04/00065/60/97/10/0702.HTM#7400    (010)

....by USACE) that failure to highlight this indicates Tacit has not
succeeded in this area.    (011)

Tacit maintains that its product gives customers speed, efficiency,
profit and competitive advantage.  As you recall, we have been talking
to Mark Clare at Kanisa about developing theoretical underpinnings for
calculating how much profit (ROI) is derived from improving handling
of daily working information, which Doug Engelbart characterized as a
key goal of KM in his 1972 paper reviewed on 000327....    (012)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/03/27/094001.HTM#3971    (013)

Mark has proposed follow up discussions in May because his calendar
has been filled with current activity on Kanisa's work to improve
productivity of call centers.    (014)

The good news is that Tacit seems to be covering all the stuff Doug
cites that needs to be analyzed in order to inventory talent and
expertise.  Why not do the same for knowledge?  One reason may be is
that the task is quite large as related by Jack Park in his letter on
000221....    (015)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/02/21/113701.HTM#7455    (016)

...and supported by Steven Pinker in his book "How the Mind Works"
reviewed on 990319....    (017)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/03/29/212547.HTM#GP2S    (018)

If you are just dealing with one or two word phrases, this is fairly
easy, but effective KM requires 20 - 100 word phrases.  That becomes
overwhelming to the conscious mind and to existing computers.  So, we
need a way to aid  subconscious intelligence in order to reduce
meaning drift.  Eric noted earlier that efforts to improve management
of complexity using graphic based models is not effective, as seen
from background on 001008....    (019)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/10/08/091009.HTM#N38W    (020)

...citing Eric's subsequent work on 010904...    (021)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/01/09/14/225928.HTM#UU8N    (022)

Are there additional resources showing how Tacit tackles this issue
for improving email and IT?    (023)

Rod    (024)