Re: Rethinking Licensing (was Re: [ba-ohs-talk] open source +patents = puzzled)

Yes, I think something along these lines makes sense.    (01)

Automating the process is the hard part, but a "software ecology"
is a sound concept, imho.    (02)

I suspect that the system would need to work something like this:
  * You have access to this huge library, with lots of APIs.
  * Anything you build that uses those APIs would be sold within
     the ecological framework.
  * Any API you use would receive a fractional percent of the
     revenue, based on the contribution of that API to the whole.
  * The API's "contribution" would have to be factored with
     respect to relative size and the total count of APIs in the
     system. (It's a tough one. The code for a database API might
     be huge, and yet only used once in a trivial little application.
     On the other hand, that application might access a database
      that people access a lot, like a TV listing. So 50% of a tiny
      $10 app might consist of that API -- but the value primarily
      comes from the data -- not the API.
   * That's where negotiation comes in -- to argue the relative
      value of the pieces. That's something the mechanism needs
      to take into account.
   * Interestingly, a large API or body of code (whichever metric
      is used) might be more expensive, but smaller, lighter APIs
      would see more use -- making an interesting economy that
      favored smaller APIs!    (03)

I think the negotiation / determination of relative value is the
trickiest proposition -- as is the need to move revenues through
the system, so they are automatically distributed to contributors.    (04)

Then there is the need to know in advance how much of the
revenue will be diverted, so you can set the pricing properly.
But those are mostly mechanical details. It's the relative value
problem that makes a good solution hard to find.    (05)

Jack Park wrote:    (06)