Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Bootstrap and Licensing

> My arguments have always been predicated on the
> problem of
> funding people to build a thing that needs building.
> How do you
> do that? That's the only problem I have attempted to
> solve.    (01)

I have thought about this over the holidays have have
come up with some good ideas.     (02)

1. An OHS is data intensive. In order to be usefull
you need a large body of data so that you can usefully
cross reference.    (03)

2. An application of the OHS does not need to be
GPLed. The content of the system, the usage of the
system, the running and the advertising system, all
can be run for profit by a company. Look at mp3.com
that uses linux/php/apache to run a non-free service.    (04)

3. Again, the content of the system is not affected by
the license of the core code. You might want to
provide a LGPL lib to allow for the creation of custom
applications.    (05)

4. The hypertext and webservices world is not really
covered by the GPL v2. There is no way to stop a user
from using http to access all of your data and create
a derived product without linking and without
permission.    (06)

5. The SQL world is just the same, you can use the
LGPL  libraries to access a postgres database and do
not need to make anything GPL.    (07)

6.As soon as a company decides to implement it
internally, and not to distribute it outside, they can
customise the code to thier hearts content and have no
obligation to republish. A consulting company could do
this customization for the and make money doing so.    (08)

So there are still many ways (both good and bad) for
creating non-free all-for-profit derived works using
an OHS.     (09)

I hope that you found that interesting.
mike    (010)

=====