RE: [ba-ohs-talk] What are we trying to accomplish?

JE & EA --    (01)

Have a look at these two items.    (02)

Also, please read and study the following: (I have closely evaluated this
book and recommend it.)    (03)

"Knowledge Assets - Professional's Guide to Valuation and Financial
Management" by Mark K. Clare
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0156070006/theclientserverc/
"This book is a practical guide to an investment-oriented approach to the
valuation of knowledge management (KM) strategies and projects. It is not a
how-to book on the accounting, appraisal-oriented, or intellectual capital
approaches to the valuation of intangible assets. Most managers are
interested in results. This book shows how to demonstrate those results by
driving knowledge assets more directly and visibly into the financial
statements of the organization. CD-ROM included."    (04)

The San Francisco and Silicon Valley KM Cluster is hosting a two-day
"Knowledge Economics Summit" to examine this precise issue. It is July
29/30, 2002, in San Francisco. It has not been formally announced, but
ba-ohs/unrev-talk is invited and very welcome to visit the event Web and
review this community event as it takes shape. http://www.kmcluster.com/kes/    (05)

"Knowledge Assets - Professional's Guide to Valuation and Financial
Management" is the recommended text for the Knowledge Economics Summit. Mark
K. Clare (author) will lead Day One of the Knowledge Economics Summit.    (06)

Financial and economic fluency is central to the investment, diffusion and
take-up of OHS and the Capabilities Infrastructure. Because Doug deeply
understands and evangelizes the -critical- importance of sustained, ongoing
investments, I invited him to be a keynote, to deliver: "Improving Our
Ability to Improve: A Call for Investment in a New Future," but Mei-Lin said
he was unavailable...    (07)

The July 2002 "Knowledge Economics Summit" is a kick-off/bootstrap for many
more Bay Area & Silicon Valley Knowledge Economics workshops, seminars and
events that are required to develop deep competency in the economic and
financial foundations of knowledge management, OHS and the Capabilities
Infrastructure.    (08)

Knowledge Economics for unrev/ohs will capture more (management) attention,
drive more interest, win more sponsorship and develop more disciples than a
number of the other initiatives, concerns and ongoing conversations.    (09)

For better or worse, economics and finance are the lingua franca of progress
and advancement in this day and age.    (010)

Mastery of the overarching financial advantages of building Collective IQ
will advance the unrev/ohs communities from simply pioneering conceptual
principles, to playing the central role in proving, leading, deploying and
implementing breakthrough knowledge-based and collaborative practices on a
global scale.    (011)

Cheers,    (012)

John    (013)

John Maloney
www.kmcluster.com
Email: jtmalone@pacbell.net
Tel: 415.902.9676
eFax: 415.276.6074
IM:jheuristic    (014)

Create the Future! Join the KM Cluster --
http://www.kmcluster.com/register.htm    (015)