[ba-ohs-talk] Feedback on SDS, Expanding the Gene Pool

Gary,    (01)

Thanks for the "experiment," shown in your letter below, to formulate
what might be called a "transformation" mode between IT and KM using
SDS as a content generator to provide a knowledge base that people can
apply quickly without presenting a lot of links that are confusing to
people in a hurry to get things done.    (02)

Your sample work product seems to suggest the SDS record enables
people to select a few links that seem relevant at the moment using
the tools they like, as in your case KeyNote, Microsoft Word, etc.    (03)

Talked to Morris today about a business model for delivering products
and services.  After wrestling the thing to the ground for an hour so,
Morris mentioned experience at Intel where IBM and others market
products and services for "solutions."  Essentially, this would mean
providing a service supported by SDS that generates "intelligence"
content, which everybody can then use in the manner demonstrated by
your record today to create stuff that fits the culture of the
organization, but with confidence that everything is tied back to
original sources by the underlying record.     (04)

We considered, using input from your letter the other day, that the
"problem" executives need solved is that every meeting, every call,
every email sows the seeds of error, resulting in continual bumbling
that reduces earnings through recursive cycles of rework.  Most
executives don't quite frame their problem in this way.  They usually
say "Everything would have worked if only my people had told the
truth" reported on 950412....    (05)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/95/04/12/170045.HTM#L321438    (06)

But, in more sobering moments many admit they simply don't have enough
time to think about all the connections that impact productivity,
earnings and stock prices....    (07)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/97/09/10/170058.HTM#3479    (08)

...while hurrying to the next meeting, to catch the next plane or make
the tee time at 2p.  So, they use the 20 80 method taught at seminars
and in MBA class. Some of these are realizing that thinking to connect
the dots of cause and effect is critical on the job, otherwise things
fall through the cracks, and before you know it the budget is blown
and the schedule is a shambles, as you related on 011006.     (09)

So, conceivably it might be possible to provide low level support
using SDS to create the data base that people don't have enough time
nor tools to create for themselves in the communication area, similar
to using accountants for creating a data base in the finance area to
make sure everything is lined up with budgets.     (010)

Morris points out that "intelligence" is an operational service.
Executives and others are uncomfortable about using a service to
generate content that is connected into the knowledge repository to
align organizational memory for operations, but seem to hunger for
something like SDS to help the sales department.  We talked about why
intelligence is helpful for making a sale but not for designing a
product, manufacturing, doing a merger, like Enron did so well,
reported on 020204....    (011)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/02/02/04/160634.HTM#EX5O      (012)

It was not clear in the discussion today why sales is the only place
where working intelligently can save time and money.  In any case, as
Judge Peruls once noted, we have to start off somewhere.      (013)

Jack talked about "possibilities" in the 3-layer architecture.
Possibly the idea that SDS makes it fast and easy to create
connections, as Eric noted on 010916, would fly, and then as you say,
these can be held in the background by people on the job producing
conventional content.  That sort of sounds like a version of Jack's
three (3) layers presented during the meeting at SRI on 000518...    (014)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/00/05/18/160027.HTM#8439    (015)

The Com Manager service enables a few people make sure all the links
are in place that line everything up with objectives, requirements and
commitments, so that everybody else can get on with things without
being burdened by all of the links, but only use the ones they need at
the moment.  At another moment they will need other links, and this is
in the underlying record as a resource when needed.    (016)

If I am following your example, this helps accomplish the scope for
judicious review reported on 990419 to enable clear, concise, complete
communication....    (017)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/04/19/105629.HTM#0L9I    (018)

...and further at...    (019)

http://www.welchco.com/sd/08/00101/02/99/04/19/105629.HTM#0M3L    (020)

Since, Eric has been the master architect of this issue, possibly he
will have helpful guidance, so by copy will ask for collaboration from
Eric.  Morris can also contribute, since he is on the ground dealing
with a lot of documents everyday, as you relate in the sample
material.  Maybe we can "bottle" this thing.    (021)

Thanks.    (022)

Rod    (023)