Re: [ba-ohs-talk] Organic Growth of Knowledge

I know its a bad example. It's the best example I could
come up with on the spur of the moment, and it is far
from perfect.    (01)

However, it was intended to be representative of several
queries I've made recently where the terms popular
usages, and there was no way to constrain the search
further.    (02)

Admittedly, in the example I have, it is possible to do further
the constrain the search, if you have enough knowledge at
the outset -- such as the type of machine, or the simple
fact that a "printing press" is a different kind of beast than a
"printer".    (03)

(Actually, that makes a *second* way that an ontology would
be valuable -- in a query-clarification that alerted the user to
the *existence* of potentially constraining terms like "printing
press".)    (04)

At the time I was engaged in these searches, it had not occurred
to me that there was an serious question as to the value of
ontological markup. The next time I happen across a motivating
example, I'll be sure to document it.    (05)

Chris Dent wrote:    (06)