[ba-ohs-talk] Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Whither ba-unrev?

Pardon the cross-postings --this seems appropriate for both -talk and -ohs    (01)

> From Henry's recent post: Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:20:06 -0400
> Subject: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Whither ba-unrev?
> (Actually  Kathryn Labarre and Chris Dent are working on
> something near to this.)    (02)

It is long past time that Chris and I release a prototype interface to you
along with an invitation to begin coding the messages in the archive.     (03)

Your participation in the coding phase will:
	help improve the interface,
	help improve access to the intellectual content of the archive    (04)

Interface:
	http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/uviz/cgi/index.cgi    (05)

This interface will allow you to search the archive by:
 *  body
 *  subject
 *  from field
 *  descriptors    (06)

The present design provides a mechanism for the evaluation of individual
messages and semantic clusters of messages represented in the database.
After conducting a search of the archive, you can code the clusters of
messages that are returned according to a scale of 0 to 5. If you find a
message or set of messages particularly useful or not useful, give it or
them a score with the provided interface.    (07)

Your evaluations (coding) will help in the analysis required in the
creation of a faceted access structure to the contents of the archive. The
hope is that this work will create the framework for an access tool for
the current archives of -talk and -ohs.    (08)

Background:     (09)

Some of you may remember the various posts in which Chris Dent described
the work that he and I have been doing to provide a means of access to the
archive of the unrev-II list. We've been experimenting with computational
methods for determining "aboutness" of the subjects, messages and threads.
This "aboutness" could then be used in an iterative process to generate
facets for a faceted access structure to the archive (more details in our
ICCS paper -- link below ).
[post] http://www.bootstrap.org/lists/ba-ohs-talk/0204/msg00123.html    (010)

The search and coding interface:
http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/uviz/cgi/index.cgi
represents the next step in the process.    (011)

If you are interested in some more background, please feel free to visit
the project site:
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~klabarre/unrev_firstpage.html    (012)

Chris and I  wrote a paper that was presented at this summer's ICCS 2002
which describes the very early stages of this project, and serves
as the framework for our approach.
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~klabarre/iccs2002_concept.doc    (013)

See also a powerpoint from CoLIS4 describing this project:
http://ella.slis.indiana.edu/~klabarre/CoLIS4.ppt    (014)

Thanks in advance for your assistance!!    (015)

Happy coding.    (016)

Kathryn La Barre
http://php.indiana.edu/~klabarre/firstpage.html
SLIS doctoral student