Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Where is Kananaskis?

> Anyway, this is germane to unrev-ohs. The bureaucracies you love drive
> rigid, controlling information structures by nature and definition.
That's
> bad.    (01)

It depends on what they are for, and one's point of view.
For example, for someone who is presently incapable of working
full-time owing to illness a boost to income from the welfare state
might be mean the difference between salvation and starvation.
Without the tax-gathering bureaucracy a welfare state wouldn't be
possible.
Could one rely on the 'free people' for that kind of support.
And I suspect most people are pretty glad that the tax structure is
fairly immobile in most key respects - e.g. taxes aren't levied
according to a landlord's personal whims any more.    (02)

It seems to me that most of the institutions of government in a healthy
democracy have a good reason for being there - to balance peace against
personal liberty.
(And maybe that's tougher in a nation full of unlicenced armaments.)    (03)

There's a lot to be lost by rolling the scheme of things back to
a Hobbesian State of Nature.
Alternative: "The Unfinished Reform", anyone?    (04)

> Meta-government aka empire is intrinsically wicked.    (05)

In what sense did you intend that?
(I'm reminded of the "What have the Romans ever done for us?"
skit in Monty Python's Life of Brian. "The aqueducts, the roads, the
sewers, better medicine, ...)
It's true that some past implementations of the concept have
left a lot to be desired on the ethical front, but does that rule out
the idea
for the future given new technologies and new socio-political
structures?    (06)

--
Peter    (07)