RE: [ba-unrev-talk] Back to School

At 03:42 AM 7/1/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>"The shape of things to come, becomes more and more a race between
>education and catastrophe." HG Wells    (01)

That is such a cool quote, I googled it.    (02)

Here's a page http://www.ciberjob.org/suple/cine/wells.htm
where I found a slightly different version (and some obnoxious music)    (03)

"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and
catastrophe." H. G. Wells, 1937    (04)

On the same page is this quote:    (05)

"There is no practical obstacle whatsoever now to the creation of an
efficient index to all human knowledge, ideas and achievements, to the
creation, that is, of a complete planetary memory for all mankind. It
foreshadows a real intellectual unification of our race. The whole human
memory can be, and probably in a short time will be, made accessible to
every individual. In what is also of very great importance in this
uncertain world where destruction becomes continually more frequent and
unpredictable, is this, that...it need not be concentrated in a one single
place. It need not be vulnerable as a human head or a human heart is
vulnerable. It can be reproduced exactly and fully, in Peru, China,
Iceland, Central Africa, or wherever else.... It can have at once, the
concentration of a craniate animal and the diffused vitality of an amoeba."
H. G. Wells, 1937    (06)

And, now I can close the browser and shut of the music!
Cheers
Jack    (07)