Re: [ba-unrev-talk] one handed chord keyboards

cdent@burningchrome.com wrote:    (01)

> I'm sure this has come up on here before but I have an itch I'd
> like to scratch: one handed, chorded keyboards. Where can I buy
> one or try one to see if I like it. It seems ideal for me.
>
> I found Paul Fernhout's posting on the original unrev-ii list
> about the Twiddler. I have one of those and after the first
> couple of weeks of "oh, this is neato" set it down in
> frustration: it's not well designed for the task I wanted: fast
> one-handed data entry. It's pretty good for, as Paul says,
> petting the dog while you type. I was able to get up to a
> reasonable rate of typing, but my goal here is to go _faster_
> than I touch type (and I type quickly) and have one hand for
> typing and one for mousing, never leaving devices. I intend to
> use it at a desk, not in a wearable situation.
>
> The most noted one handed chord system on the web appears to be
> the Bat, but it looks a bit clunky. CyKey is another. Anyone have
> experience with either of these?
>
> I've seen pictures of the chord keyset made at SRI. Simple, to
> the point. I can't seem to find anything like that.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
>
> --
> Chris Dent  <cdent@burningchrome.com>  http://www.burningchrome.com/~cdent/
> "Mediocrities everywhere--now and to come--I absolve you all! Amen!"
>  -Salieri, in Peter Shaffer's Amadeus    (02)

Chris.    (03)

Interesting you brought this up. It is something badly needed - reference:
http://www.fleabyte.org/eic-1.html#2BE - and I have talked and corresponded
about it with various people. I may be wrong, but I understand that you will
not get faster with it than with two-handed touch-typing, but in terms of
overall efficiency by having one hand free to do other important things it
ought be a winner.    (04)

I understand from someone thoroughly familiar with manufacturing that there
must me assurance of returns. Cheap as these devices ought to be, one must be
assured of being able to sell a very large number of units before a profit is
made.    (05)

I wrote the people at TT Tech, mentioned in the article referred to,
suggesting they consider making a five-key derivative of their snap-on
keyboard for handhelds. Frankly, I tend to believe that if, for example, the
Blackberry came with a free snap-on chord, users would tend to experiment with
it and eventually may well go for it. Having seen Doug work the chord,and
having struggled with tiny keys on handhelds myself, the snap-on chord ought
be a winner. And I am alone in this belief.    (06)

I understand that Grant Bowman got one of the last surviving chords from Doug
and that he repaired it. He may be able to tell how one could put one together
(there is electronics involved, of course - maybe the Bootstrap Institute can
put it hands on schematics, etc.). Nice volunteer project, or may be an
academic project.    (07)

Henry    (08)