From: "Jack Park" <jackpark@thinkalong.com>
To: <ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org>
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Systems and goals    (04)

Interesting.  I have a somewhat different take on the A.B.C.s, perhaps
one
invented out of my own mad way of looking at the universe.  I got a bit
more support for my ideas whilst re-reading a paper entitled "The Hume
Machine" on the web.  One of the authors of that paper is Bruno Latour
(http://www.ensmp.fr/~latour/) and, while roaming his site, I found
this, a
bibliographic entry of his that is not yet available in whole document
form:    (05)

""War of the Worlds -What about Peace?" to be published as a separate
pamphlet byPrickly Press, edited by Marshall Sahlins, Chicago,
University
of Chicago Press (2002) (traduction anglaise d'une version remaniée de
English translation in a separate pamphlet of a revised and expanded
version of (81) traduite par translated by Charlotte Brigg]
If one takes seriously the notion of cosmopolitics developped by
Isabelle
Stengers and the diplomatic work it entails, one is engaged in a
rethinking
of the link between cultures and natures ­now in the plural- ; it is
argued
here that the extension of nature can no longer count as the diplomatic
way
of creating a common world ; alternatives are explored including the
notion
of constructivisme, an unlikely candidate at first, but a good
possibility
in the end."    (06)

I don't see the A.B.C.s as a control trip at all. Never have, even
though
Doug's slides seem to reflect production as the output of A work.  I
first
recognized A.B.C.s as yet another opportunity for applied constructivist
thinking.    (07)

I'm personally leaning in the direction of assigning a "lot of blame"
(whatever that means) (e.g. causality with respect to the complex,
urgent
problems of our time and our future) on humanity's abuses of its tribal
nature,  religious thinking being just one candidate abuser among
many.  Peter's calls (below) for dialog on *goals* is the right call to
make; otoh, Doug laid out some extremely important goals (I think)
during
Unrev II already: clean water, food, climate, etc being attractor basins
for a plethora of valuable goals.    (08)

What's needed, in my view, is to get humankind started on a
constructivist
course, not, indeed, a trivial goal in itself. My view holds that we
likely
will not make much progress in that direction so long as we focus on
specific issues; as a card-carrying member of the tribe whose mantra is
"Get The Big Picture First," I do have some ideas that I think could be
the
seeds for finding a voice rooted in the Big Picture.    (09)

My ideas reflect Doug's call (expressed here as my interpretation) for
the
evolution of an OHS-driven paradigm shift in the way we work.  My view
is
that humankind, for whatever reason (Darwinian?) is rather
*instructivist*
when a move to *constructivist* behaviors is (well, at least, may be)
called for.  Now, it would be *instructivist* of me to state in plain
words
right here just how to do that.  I choose, instead, to make an attempt
*facilitate* the start of a constructivist approach by building some
software that may (or may not -- I'm still roaming about in hypothesis
space) kick start the evolution of better software that might, just
might
provoke the evolution in human behaviors that are the A.B.C.s about
which,
I think, Doug speaks.    (010)

Discourse in this forum, in my view, could easily seed the move towards
better understanding of the differences between instructivist and
constructivist behaviors.    (011)

My 0.02 EUROs for the day.
Jack    (012)