[ba-unrev-talk] Your rights online?

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/02/08/11/0343222.shtml?tid=158    (01)

"Listening to NPR today and caught a story on All Things Considered about
how the FBI has demanded information on borrowing and browsing habits,
including computer seizures, from 85 libraries since Sept. 11 (utilizing
their new-found powers from the PATRIOT act). Similar stories (which don't
require RealAudio) are here and here. The American Librarian Association is
providing information for librarians to help deal with this, and it seems
heavily tilted towards supporting individuals' rights to privacy. It seems
like the Slashdot crowd could come up with a great library computer setup
that would protect anonymity (I'm thinking about things like creating a RAM
disk and loading the OS onto it). How about ways to enable people to borrow
books anonymously without opening the door to large-scale theft? I bet if
we offered a packaged, free, easy to install Safe Browsing computer or
Anonymous Checkout program, libraries across the U.S. would
enthusiastically embrace it." According to the articles, these checks can
be made for any reason, not just for suspected terrorism. It seems that if
the American people are going to protect their rights, they are going to
have to do so actively. Is the idea presented above, feasible? How would
you improve upon it?    (02)