Re: [ba-unrev-talk] viral licenses

Lehey says "...one of the biggest non-issues is the question of
license."  That's a matter of opinion, isn't it?    (01)

I prefer to keep things above the table, cards face up, meaning I don't
wish to rely on good faith. As any good attorney would advise (recall: I'm
not an attorney and never played one on TV), get it in writing.  Good faith
is nice. Things in writing are better, and the GPL is pretty much cast in
concrete (writing).  It's viral. Why it's viral is not a matter of concern
here.    (02)

As I said before, your project looks terrific.    (03)

3:32 AM! Do you ever sleep?    (04)

Cheers
Jack    (05)

At 03:32 AM 9/10/2002 +0300, you wrote:
>Jack Park wrote:
>>What I say here is just liable to bring a response from the creator of
>>the GPL license; it has in the past and I don't see why it won't again.
>>The problem (NOTE: the use of the word *problem* requires some
>>qualification: a subjective connotation is placed on its use: that there
>>is a *problem* at all is purely one based on personal belief systems
>>involved -- religious, though they may be, at times), with the use of GPL
>>is that it is known to be a viral license.
>
>Greg Lehey writes in an article published at:
>
>http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200202/dadvocate.html
>
>"People discuss a number of differences between BSD and Linux. In my mind,
>one of the biggest non-issues is the question of license. The BSD license
>has fewer restrictions than the GNU General Public License under which
>Linux is released: the GPL requires that any derivative works also be
>placed under the GPL. Some people consider this ``viral'' effect to be the
>work of the devil, and part of rms' plan to take over the world. It's true
>that it causes certain ethical problems when using GPL code in BSD, but
>there are usually ways to solve them, assuming good faith on both sides."
>
>- Teemu    (06)

XML Topic Maps: Creating and Using Topic Maps for the Web.
Addison-Wesley, ISBN 0-201-74960-2.    (07)

http://www.nexist.org/wiki/User0Blog    (08)