RE: [ba-unrev-talk] Fwd: [issues] News from Johannesburg (2)

Stephen,    (01)

Thanks for your message and concern.    (02)

I like the tax code bait, we could really go round and round with that
one. Won't bite, though.    (03)

'Can comment on the parochial thought remark though.    (04)

Parochial is one of those loaded words that has intrinsic negative
connotations. Sort of like religious in 'religious right' or
conservative as in 'conservative think tank.'     (05)

(Q: Why aren't there any 'liberal think tanks?' Is liberal neutral or
just vulgar? Also, where is the 'religious left?' Are lefties simply
un-religious? I don't think so...)    (06)

Anyway, the genius of the Internet, for example, is that it enables
tight proximate focus, in a global context. Remember that old bromide,
'think globally, act locally?' Glocalization is quite a new thing, and
has not been mastered yet.    (07)

It is highly paradoxical because in order to information to be useful,
it needs to be group-wide, for it to be valuable, it needs to be
enterprise-wide, for example. Indeed, parochial thought is critical --
just ask anybody that has tried to deploy a corporate 'best practices'
program. (Or tried to build an empire!)    (08)

The problem today is too many people see the USA as the cause AND
solution to all the world's problems. It just ain't so. It causes a lot
of grief both domestically and internationally.    (09)

Pop psychologists could probably call it transference. It is a real
problem that could be solved by much higher levels of local initiative
and independence or in your view, parochial thought.    (010)

Meta-government defeats local and personal responsibility and
consequence. Same is true of innovation, collaboration, community,
computing and communications.     (011)

Believe me, it is not my intention to sway anybody, and strictly do not
originate unrev threads that are partisan, provocative or otherwise
off-topic.    (012)

Finally, it probably would make sense for people that originate threads
containing bellicose political editorials and crackpot off-topic
opinions to find a group more suited to their particular interests and
leanings.    (013)

Cheers,    (014)

-jtm     (015)