Re: [ba-unrev-talk] [Fwd: World Wide Democracy Network Newsletter 02]

I have attempted to sign up as a 'co-learner' with the WWDN in order to find out
more.
They seem nascent.
Reading the material on their website they certainly don't have the same type of
Northern hemisphere PhDs adorning their web pages as at globalagoras (which
might not be a bad thing), and their approach to leadership seems much more like
concerted facilitation of activation of public participation programs with the
agenda subsequently to be set and changed largely by the public concerned.
That does require that political leaders committed to the cause gain the
necessary leverage to set things rolling though.    (01)

Their key example involves Brazilian cities where pro-public-participation,
pro-labour groups have gained significant standing, and where the public
participants may or may not be high-tech (they make no mention of any technology
beyond legwork). In fact, and this looks to me like a crucial point, in some
respects their whole ideal is geared towards avoiding reliance on the high-tech,
armchair politics of the nerd society (possibly of necessity) in favour of
direct social contact as the means to engendering positive community values more
firmly.    (02)

I think there might be opportunities for bootstrap-type tools in that mix though
(on the assumption that the Brazilians don't already have their own - which they
might, as they seem pretty fired up).    (03)

--
Peter