Re: [ba-unrev-talk] An approach to a simpler truth.

Gerald Pierce wrote:

> Eric, I just have to chime in here.

Glad you did!    (01)

> If you are pampering yourself spending your money on a lot of
> "things" there is a good chance that you don't really know who
> you are! You speak like you DO know.  So tell me.

Ah. Past tense. It is only the recent realization of who I really am
that it made it clear how much I was pampering myself. Before that,
every option was equally valid. Now, some clearly align, while others
don't. (More on that in a future post.)     (02)

> With regard to all the "if only's, that is a really tough fight.
> a more powerful approach would be to offer "charming deceptions"
> that would provide forces and tools to assist people in waking up.

Sounds like a good description of something that would work.
Know of any somethings that fit the description?    (03)

> As people become more aware of their real relationship to the planet
> their market demands will shift to products that do not shoot holes
> in the other end of the lifeboat....big business ... will make and
> sell what you ask for.

Actually, that inverts the efficiency equation. We let Fred make
arrowheads, because he was the expert. He knew what stones to use,
and he had acquired the most skill in making them. Besides, he had
fun doing it. We could his mistakes for fewer beads than his
treasures, but they always worked to hunt game. The really useless
dreck never made it to the bargaining rock. In his early days, there
was a lot of that...    (04)

The "social contract" implicit in specialization is that we trust
those who know the most to "look out for us". We may bargain over
the price, but we expect useful goods.    (05)

The science regarding partially hydrogenated oils has been known
for 30 years. The public are only now beginning to learn what to
ask for. (Since 2001, I've seen two TV segments and 2 newspaper
articles. But hey, it's a start.)    (06)

Basically, when capitalism is in the hands of those who don't care,
it *must* be fettered by government. But with corporations
increasingly become more powerful than government (viz. NAFTA),
it's clear that an economic revolt of some kind is in order.    (07)

> I think that there is a major opportunity for religious organization
> to transform themselves by taking on this challenge.

I've long been intrigued by the notion of finding a rationalization
for doing good to others that *wasn't* based on religion. Such
a thing could go a long way to reduce religious prejudice, as well
as the worst of captialism. Equilibrium theory holds promise...    (08)

It is probably not inaccurate to say that the worst of muslim
fundamentalism is fueled by the worst of western capitalism,
which by its dependence on oil funds the worst of muslim fundamentalism!    (09)

A non-religious "do unto others" would make a big dent...    (010)