From: owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org
[mailto:owner-ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org]On Behalf Of Eric Armstrong
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 6:50 PM
To: ba-unrev-talk@bootstrap.org
Subject: Re: [ba-unrev-talk] An approach to a simpler truth.    (04)

V.S.Uren@open.ac.uk wrote:

>         Re: I've long been intrigued by the notion of finding a
> rationalization
> > for doing good to others that *wasn't* based on religion. Such
> > a thing could go a long way to reduce religious prejudice, as well
> > as the worst of captialism. Equilibrium theory holds promise...
> >
>         This sounds like a notion I call "practical karma"...

Yes. A belief in reincarnation is a *powerful* motivation for doing
good. I look at it this way:    (05)

     It's not that I'm going to come back as a llama or an earthworm,
     or something.    (06)

     It's not even that I'm going to come back as some high-born or
     low-born person.    (07)

     It's that I'm going to come back to THIS world -- and I'm going
     to have live in the garden of eden (or cesspool) I create.    (08)

     Talk about incentive to take care of the environment...    (09)

But those are quasi-religious notions. At the very least, they
depend on a particular belief system.    (010)