Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Four Goals (was)Fwd: [issues] reply to Tony's comment

A software tool called Reason!Able helps expands the brain's capacity to cope with
complex arguments.    (01)

E.G., For the case of reducing our use of fossil fuels, try using Reason!Able - an
introductory PowerPoint presentation. Download the zip file (500k)
<  http://www.goreason.com/presentations/Using_ReasonAble.zip >    (02)

Also, here's some interesting papers relative to ba-unrev-talk and interest in
argument mapping:    (03)

1) What is Argument Mapping?
< http://www.austhink.org/argumentmapping/ >    (04)

What is reasoning and argumentation?
Reasoning and argumentation are closely related. Reasoning is a cognitive
activity, argumentation is reasoning, exercised in a social context.    (05)

3) Argument Mapping with Reason!Able    (06)

van Gelder, T. J. (forthcoming). Argument Mapping with Reason!Able. The American
Philosophical Association Newsletter on Philosophy and Computers    (07)

"[I]t is also important to realise that these are early days in the development of
computer-supported argument mapping. Back in 1962, Douglas Englebart imagined and
predicted computer-supported argument mapping as a means of augmenting human
intellect (Engelbart,
1962). Four decades later, his vision is at last starting to be realised.
Reason!Able (and other packages available today) are like Model T Fords compared
with the automobiles of today, let alone the “maglevs”5 of the future. I brashly
predict that once the technology becomes sufficiently advanced, those who deal
with complex arguments for a living will switch to the new methods just as the
accounting profession has switched entirely to computer packages in preference to
the old system of ledgers and manual entries and calculations."    (08)

3) Enhancing Deliberation Through Computer Supported Argument Mapping    (09)

van Gelder, T. J. (forthcoming). Enhancing Deliberation Through Computer-Supported
Argument Mapping. In P. Kirschner & S. Buckingham Shum & C. Carr (Eds.),
Visualizing Argumentation: Software Tools for Collaborative and Educational
Sense-Making. London: Springer-Verlag.    (010)

Conclusion
"Deliberation is the primary means by which we strive for, and sometimes actually
find, the truth on important, complex issues. Anything which enhances deliberation
thereby enhances our ability to know the truth. Argument mapping can substantially
enhance deliberation, relative to traditional practices; indeed, I know of no
other approach which can make a comparable difference. The emergence of new,
dedicated argument-mapping support tools will, I believe, enable argument mapping
to become widespread practice in schools, and in the workplace, in domains as
various as policy making, research, politics, the law, and dispute resolution. If
all this is correct, computer-supported argument mapping ought, in the long run,
contribute substantially to human well-being. In this sense, our project is a
extension of the Enlightenment vision of progress through the refinement and
application of Reason."    (011)

More info
< http://www.philosophy.unimelb.edu.au/reason/ >    (012)

Other Software Tools    (013)

a) ARAUCARIA
"Araucaria is a software tool (written in Java) for analysing arguments. It aids a
user in reconstructing and diagramming an argument using a simple point-and-click
interface. The software also supports argumentation schemes, and provides a
user-customisable set of schemes with which to analyse arguments.    (014)

Once arguments have been analysed they can be saved in a portable format called
"XML". XML is a flexible language which can easily be used to generate web pages
and data with which to populate a database."    (015)

The software is free (it is released under the GNU General Public License) and
version 1.0 is now available for download. <
http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/creed/araucaria/download.html >
< http://www.computing.dundee.ac.uk/staff/creed/araucaria/index.html >    (016)

b) ATHENA
The Athena software (written in Java) is designed to support analysis and
production of reasoning and argumentation by students in higher education at
undergraduate and postgraduate levels.    (017)

ATHENA ISSA 2002.zip (350kB)
<  http://www.athenasoft.org/sub/documents/ATHENA%20ISSA%202002.zip >    (018)

This is a presentation of the design ideas behind Athena software and education. A
comparison with a similar package (ReasonAble) is provided.    (019)

The Athena 2.0 computer program may be used freely for non-commercial purposes.
< http://www.athenasoft.org/sub/software.htm >    (020)

The project has been sponsored by The Council for the Renewal of Higher Education,
The National Agency for Higher Education, Stockholm, Sweden
< http://www.athenasoft.org/ >    (021)

groups.yahoo.com/group/argumap
http://www.goreason.com    (022)

c) GeNIe (Graphical Network Interface) and SMILE (Structural Modeling, Inference,
and Learning Engine)    (023)

Directed to the high- end of the user spectrum is the program Genie, produced at
Carnegie- Mellon University, Pittsburgh. Genie enables the user to draw influence
diagrams and calculate conditional probabilities and expected utilities on the
basis of probabilities and utilities, entered by an expert user.
< http://www2.sis.pitt.edu/~genie/about_genie.html >    (024)

The three levels of software differ with respect to how much of calculation they
employ. At a low level, Belvedere contains no calculations. Reason! Able and
Athena, at a middle level, contain some assignments of numbers and, in Athena,
some capacities for helping the user to use certain rules- of thumb for filtering
away his worst arguments. Genie, finally, contains advanced theory-based
capacities for calculations, based on expected utility and Bayesian probabilities.    (025)

Jack Park wrote:    (026)

Introducing NetZero Long Distance
Sign Up Today! www.netzerolongdistance.com    (028)