Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Not In Our Name

Henry,

Thanks for taking the time to write a thoughtful response to the Not In Our Name "Statement of Conscience" that I posted.

I was going to wait a few days to respond  in order to see what others on the list might be thinking, but I have been encouraged by Aldo de Moor to forward an email that I sent to him today concerning the issue at hand.

While this is certainly not a complete response to your post, since it hardly addresses where I am tend to agree with you (for example, regarding the language used in the NION statement), still,  it gets directly at some critical points relating to those matters where we seem to be at odds.

Gary

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Hi Aldo,

Thanks for your words of encouragement. They were needed and are appreciated. I certainly agree with your "practical interpretation of buddhism."

Still, you no doubt saw Henry van Eyken's response to my posting the NION "Statement of Conscience"  on the bootstrap list. I can't say that I feel very encouraged by his analysis. Sure, Hussain is an evil man. But that's not the point. The possibility of a horrendous pre-emptive war with the resultant lost of many innocent lives and a further eroding of international stability (and the likelihood of increased terrorism in response to it) for what might turn out to be no better reason than that Bush wants it ought be reason for considerable debate. No doubt Henry's comment that a statement of conscience doesn't help the analysis of the complex situation we're facing is correct--it is, after all, only a statement of conscience. But his either/or, right/wrong analysis doesn't help either. He wrote:

The question in my mind now is: will good fortune rid us of Hussain before he uses his weapons, in which case no war is necessary. Or will he be able to build up an arsenal and a band of co-conspiring terrorists to threaten his neighbors and the world beyond, in which case we better take preemptive action. You see, whether we will be "wrong" or "right" won't be known for some time to come.

"Good fortune"?  What about weapons inspection?  How clear is it that he has this "arsenal"? We have only Rumsfeld's word on the Iraqi "co-conspiring terrorists"--van Eyken's comments sound to my ear like so much falling into line with the disinformation we're being handed by the Bush administration and a compliant US press. And if he's had these "weapons of mass destruction" for years and hasn't used them, why should we be rushing into war--which might impel him to use them--without substantial debate and unilaterally, without support of the UN and the international community? And the very notion of America initiating a pre-emptive war is alarming to me in the extreme. May not Pakistan follow our lead and use its atomic weapons on India?  A letter today to the editor of the NYTimes summarizes something of my view:

A large number of thoughtful, patriotic Americans oppose an attack on Iraq based on a genuine concern that the cost to our country will be greater if we do than if we don't.

It is incumbent on the administration and Congress to persuade us otherwise before committing us to a war that will take many lives and is likely to be very costly in fiscal and international political capital.

If a solution other than war to the Saddam Hussein menace exists, we should be wise enough to find it; it will be more satisfying to outwit Saddam Hussein than to kill Iraqis.

Many of us believe that the call to war against Iraq is the boyish whimsy of our president and that the reluctance of other leaders to object arises from political considerations.

We implore sensible people, and especially Congressional leaders, to raise their voices in objection to any indulgence of presidential hubris that seems determined to lead us into a questionable war with the associated, tragic waste of lives and resources.
I'll respond to Henry in the next few days if no one else on that list finds his compliance with the position being disseminated by the press troubling. But I hope some other voice of reason rises in response to his expression of. . .well, FEAR that the Bushites are whipping up. Expressions of fear are of even less value than those of conscience.

Gary