Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Re: Just the facts.

It's hard to know where the dividing line is though. For example, I know that
every good idea I've ever had has just leapt out of my subconscious - or out of
nowhere, if you like, since the source is not really amenable to scientific
investigation at this time. So the kudos has to be in knowing/seeing which ideas
are healthy, and working to promote them in the world through action.
However, the type of action chosen to promote those ideas is also crucial. It is
easy to take a good idea, and subject folks to it mercilessly like a mad tyrant.
Inevitably people will rebel against the actions _and_ the idea.
One of Jack Park's themes is that the orthodox school system tends to take this
approach to learning - so many children just end up as big bags of resentment
with no conceptual centeredness.
So it's almost as though one has to publicise ideas without pushing - make those
ideas tempting in themselves.    (01)

Unfortunately there are all sorts of problems with ideas being tempting.
It is possible to make ideas tempting in a way that bears no relation to their
intrinsic rational value by weighting their popularity in respect of some basic
human desire and waiting for the herd instinct to kick in.
Or, as advertisers do these days, simply visually associate an idea with
something shiny/sexy/funny and wait.    (02)

Welcome to the meme wars.    (03)

In light of this it now seems clear to me that Dr. Engelbart needs to plaster
his papers with more pictures of scantily-clad models.
<sigh>    (04)

--
Peter    (05)