Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Humble pie in academia

Dennis.    (01)

Thanks for the empathy and welcome to the fellowship.    (02)

On the trivial side, ls ???? will do just fine. The examiner may object
that with the four-letter directory names come all the directory's
content , not just the four-letter content.    (03)

Apparently, I do much of that lurking into what is unsaid and in the
process: (a) lose a lot of time, (b) burn up energy wastefully, (c) find
all sorts of errors in the textbooks, (d) find that textbook authors
have a poor grasp of logical expose of the material, (e, f, g, h, ...
notably that instructors' errors readily become students' errors at exam
time.)    (04)

I believe it important that textbooks go electronic as soon as possible
so that all their faults can be quickly eliminated. Textbook publishers
have there sales representatives all over teachers' offices while the
actual users are left out of the picture. I also believe that teachers
(professors) ought to have read the books they assign to students.    (05)

In both my courses, the teachers declared right off the bat that the
books assigned were not their choice and, in fact, found them bad. While
one course still follows the assigned book, the other has run totally
away from it and thereby leaving students utterly dependent on hastely
scribbled notes taken during rapid-fire talk. Those are evening students
holding down jobs during the day. The experience makes me wonder how bad
a teacher I was in my day! Anyway, there is much to be learned here
besides the course content.    (06)

Henry    (07)

P.S. For your Java course, don't buy Lambert & Osborne. I could write a
book about its deficiencies. To think how much the wretched authors have
put into it!    (08)

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:    (09)