[ba-unrev-talk] RE: Deschoolin Society / Creating Learning Communities

Henry,    (01)

Thanks for forwarding this to the list.    (02)

I found it interesting enough to discuss it with the next person who called
me on the phone!    (03)

It also reminds me that Eugene had started a reading group on Ivan Illich's
book(s) and that it disappeared.  (I am one of the culprits that didn't
follow through.)  Maybe one step we could take would be to revive that
activity.    (04)

The Illich - Drucker (and Maslow) connection is also worth exploring.  But I
suggest the thing to do is take another run at Illich's ideas.    (05)

I want to say more.  I think it is about the language of disaffection.  I
find that I have to restrain myself and listen for the positive aspects of
the experiences that people describe (such as an account about studying at
The International University in Japan) and let the generalizations about
what's wrong with education and society and our economic modes just slip
past while I look for the positive in what is being reported.  I find that
it works for me if I discount the negativity and keep looking for the gems.    (06)

The second thing I notice is that this is a gigantic topic.  "Education" is
not separate from civic life and the working of society and the absorbtion
of culture.  And vice versa.  We are speaking of major disruptions to alter
the model for schooling in our society.  People's lives (and the
institutions of society, including economic life) are not organized for
this.  It leaves me with a lot to ponder.    (07)

What is there in this to be *for*?  It is easy to be against something,
there just isn't much power in it.  What, then, can I be *for* while I look
at this?  I say it is for a sustainable (global) society that works for
everyone.  Everyone.  Including our co-inhabitants of this planet, whether
embracing our culture or another.  I am going to look deeper into this from
that perspective.    (08)

-- Dennis    (09)