Re: [ba-unrev-talk] NYTimes.com Article: Who Owns the Internet? Youand i Do

Hi Henry,

I'm a bit confused about your response; perhaps I forwarded the wrong NYTimes articles? There's this one (re: a lower case "internet"), and
another on a challenge to Microsoft's  "Windows" copyright:
from the article:

 Lindows.com's stated intention is to market desktop operating software based on Linux, an operating system, distributed free, whose basic code is written and debugged by a volunteer community of programmers. To date, Linux has done well as an operating system for the server computers that run corporate networks and the Internet. But it has made scant progress in loosening Microsoft's grip on the market for PC operating systems, where Microsoft enjoys a monopoly.

Glass Panes and Software: Windows Name Is Challenged

December 30, 2002
By STEVE LOHR
You wrote:
You know, I never liked it very much when the Telephone rings while I am listening to a fine concert on the Radio. Or when suddenly the Electricity goes off while I am watching tv..
Which seems to refer to yet another article in the Times (on answering the telephone by calling out a phrase) which I don't believe I forwarded. The strangest thing for me is that I didn't receive the ba-unrev posts which contained the forwarded articles to check what I forwarded. Curiouser and curiouser. . .

Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoy the articles I send, which I  hope relate to the interests of the readership of this list.

Have a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year, in any event.

Gary

Henry K van Eyken wrote:
Yes, Gary. You know, I never liked it very much when the Telephone rings while I am listening to a fine concert on the Radio. Or when suddenly the Electricity goes off while I am watching tv..

And so, when may we expect to comfortably browse the worldwide web? (ww or www?)

Henry

BTW. I do appreciate your references to the New York Times.

garyrichmond@rcn.com wrote:

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by garyrichmond@rcn.com.

The opening of the article:

 SOMETHING will be missing when Joseph Turow's book about families and the Internet is published by M.I.T. Press next spring: The capital I that usually begins the word "Internet."

Mr. Turow, a professor at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania, studies how people use online technology and how that affects their lives. He has begun a small crusade to de-capitalize Internet — and, by extension, to acknowledge a deep shift in the way that we think about the online world.

Who Owns the Internet? You and i Do

December 29, 2002
By JOHN SCHWARTZ

]