Re: [ba-unrev-talk] NYTimes.com Article: All News Media Inc.

Note too, that the Internet is even being argued as a reason
for  eliminating these rules regarding ownership From the same Times article:
> The F.C.C. argues that technologies like the Internet offer
> Americans access to more information than ever and thus
> worries about monopolies are unfounded.

It goes on to reveal the fatuousness of that line of argumentation.

> But studies alsoshow that most Americans receive their news from a handful
> of outlets. Beyond this, much of what appears on the
> Internet is repackaged from those outlets. The number of
> operations that gather original news is small and now may
> become smaller.
Eric, I meant also to respond to the posting of your "Document for Review"--most interesting and
thoroughly thought-provoking. Unfortunately, a death in my circle is making  that impossible; in fact,
I'm leaving town tomorrow for four days to attend a memorial service. I hope to respond to your
your article then.

Best regards,

Gary

Eric Armstrong wrote:
Phenomenal. The same thing was happening in business, before the
dot-boom. Regulations that kept banks from investing stocks and
that limited margin purchasing -- put in place after the analysis of
the great depression -- were starting to be rolled back, to allow
institutions to participate in (and contribute to) the dot-bubble.

It is phenomenal, really, that the *reason* for legislation can be so
thoroughly lost that "economic impact"  -- read "w(h)ines of lobbyists"
can override even very real and very important safeguards.

Once mega-nationals control the presses, there will be even less
outcry when they control legislation -- which they have been given
the economic power to do, under NAFTA.

"Corporate capitalism" is putting a lie to everything Adam Smith
valued and held true. It creates profit, not products.

garyrichmond@rcn.com wrote:

This article from NYTimes.com
has been sent to you by garyrichmond@rcn.com.

from the article:

 Having seen how totalitarian regimes moved the world to war through domination of their news media, the government during the 1940's put restrictions on how many news media outlets one company could own, both nationally and in a single city.
. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . .
Three weeks after it proposed eliminating those rules, the F.C.C. released a series of reports about the current media marketplace. But the reports focused almost entirely on the economic impact of relaxing the ownership rules. They largely ignore the public's interest in a diverse and independent press.

garyrichmond@rcn.com

All News Media Inc.

January 7, 2003
By BILL KOVACH and TOM ROSENSTIEL

WASHINGTON
Without much notice, the federal government is moving
toward the most sweeping change ever in the rules that
govern ownership of the American news media.

This shift could reduce the independence of the news media
and the ability of Americans to take part in public debate.
Yet because of meager press coverage and steps taken by the
Federal Communications Commission in its policy-making
process, most people probably have no idea that it is
taking place.

Having seen how totalitarian regimes moved the world to war
through domination of their news media, the government
during the 1940's put restrictions on how many news media
outlets one company could own, both nationally and in a
single city.

Though those rules have been relaxed in the last 20 years,
companies are still blocked from buying a newspaper and
television station in the same city or from owning more
than one TV station in the same market.

Three weeks after it proposed eliminating those rules, the
F.C.C. released a series of reports about the current media
marketplace. But the reports focused almost entirely on the
economic impact of relaxing the ownership rules. They
largely ignore the public's interest in a diverse and
independent press.

The F.C.C. argues that technologies like the Internet offer
Americans access to more information than ever and thus
worries about monopolies are unfounded. But studies also
show that most Americans receive their news from a handful
of outlets. Beyond this, much of what appears on the
Internet is repackaged from those outlets. The number of
operations that gather original news is small and now may
become smaller.

The question of concentration is most acute at the local
level. In most communities, even those with television and
radio stations, the vast range of activities are covered by
only one institution, the local newspaper.

What will happen to communities if the ownership rules are
eliminated? Among the possibilities is that one or two
companies in each town would have an effective monopoly on
reaching consumers by being allowed to control the
newspaper, radio, TV, billboards and more - with costly
consequences for businesses that need those outlets for
advertising. Such a monopoly on information would also
reduce the diversity of cultural and political discourse in
a community.

The precedent in radio is telling. Since the rules on
ownership of radio were last relaxed in 1996, the two
biggest companies went from owning 130 stations to more
than 1,400.

The F.C.C. chairman, Michael K. Powell, has scheduled only
one public hearing, in Richmond, Va., on the proposal, and
the public comment period will close at the end of this
month. It is a small and brief opportunity, but one that
the public should seize if it cherishes an independent
press.

Bill Kovach is chairman of the Committee of Concerned
Journalists. Tom Rosenstiel is director of the Project for
Excellence in Journalism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/07/opinion/07KOVA.html?ex=1042952428&ei=1&en=1ca4efc6092f968b

HOW TO ADVERTISE
onlinesales@nytimes.com or visit our online media
kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

help@nytimes.com.

Copyright 2002 The New York Times Company