Re: [ba-unrev-talk] Re: Another aspect of the problematic

Gary.    (01)

Commercial media are paid for by advertisers and reporters need be
granted interviews. So, both on the advertising side and on the
reporting side there is pressure (overt, covert) for favors and, hence,
the commercial press is not fully free, only relatively so in comparison
with a press fully controlled by a regime.    (02)

A first point of attack would be to free the press from the bondage of
advertising.    (03)

It should be noted here that the advertisers do not themselves pay for
the adverts; the public does through the price they pay for products.
Advertising is in there. In other words, like governments levies taxes
for public services, so does business by including PR and advertising
costs along with sales taxes in the price of goods and services.    (04)

There are two other bad sides to advertising:    (05)

1. They waste a lot of viewers' time or of paper (i.e. trees).    (06)

2. They encourage consumption, i.e. more than a justified use of
resources because all goods we buy end up as waste - 100%.    (07)

I know, I know. Advertising is now seen as an indispensable part of the
mechanisms for economic growth, etc., but it seems wise that we
recognize that this is not an unassailable paradigm.    (08)

So at this point, I am looking forward to an article in the commercial
press about the ills of advertising.    (09)

Henry    (010)