Re: [unrev-II] Towards a DKR

From: Bill & Sharon Bearden (bbearden@bcl.net)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 10:33:27 PST

From: "Bill & Sharon Bearden" <bbearden@bcl.net>

Idea #3. An even smaller scope would be to focus the DKR design on storing the knowledge in Eric's post: Towards a DKR. Along
with the earlier two ideas, I think this one also is good on more than one dimension.

----------
> From: Bill & Sharon Bearden <bbearden@BCL.net>
> To: unrev-II@onelist.com
> Subject: Re: [unrev-II] Towards a DKR
> Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2000 8:50 AM
>
> From: "Bill & Sharon Bearden" <bbearden@bcl.net>
>
> I found Eric's post to be very helpful. As one who doesn't deal regularly with knowledge on a theoretical level, having things
> explained in terms I understand was a good first step for me.
>
> Idea #1. How about we choose the design of a DKR as the problem that justifies building the first DKR (nice and recursive)?
This
> might be a domain in which more of us approach being Subject Matter Experts (SMEs). Perhaps we even shrink the scope to the
design
> of the standard knowledge container.
>
> Brooks says in The Mythical Man Month that we should plan on throwing one away. Because of this I am inclined to choose a small,
> managable topic for the prototype DKR.
>
> Idea #2. Someone else quoted Brooks already. If this is a book that is known to the group, another idea is to attempt to store
> the knowledge contained in his book into the prototype DKR. The topic of the DKR would be management of Information Systems
> projects.
>
> Bill
>
> ----------
> > From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
> > To: unrev2 <unrev-II@onelist.com>
> > Subject: [unrev-II] Towards a DKR
> > Date: Tuesday, January 18, 2000 7:49 PM
> >
> > From: "Eric Armstrong" <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>
> >
> > The workshop has made it abundantly clear that mankind is
> > faced with deep, significant problems. It is equally clear
> > that the "Dynamic Knowledge Repository" is the only significant
> > place where technology can be leveraged to improve mankind's
> > *ability* to solve complex problems.
> >
> > We have already greatly expanded our communication and publication
> > technologies, with the result that we have an explosion of
> > information. What is needed is a better way to harness, interact
> > with, and utilize that knowledge base. Hence the importance of
> > a "Dynamic Knowledge Repository".
> >
> > But what does such a thing look like? How does it work? How will
> > it make a difference?
>
> <<big SNIP>>

> Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
> You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends.

Independent contractors: Find your next project gig through JobSwarm!
        You can even make money by referring friends.