Re: [unrev-II] Dichotomy hiding amidst the Paradigms?

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:41:49 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

johnwerneken@netzero.net wrote:

> Look at Xanadu. If I understand the description, it is magic. But it
> is not done. Tim Berniers-Lee invented a hypertext tool that actually
> got used, grew, achieved critical mass, and -whatever its shortcomings
> - is getting to be everywhere.

Critical point. Abstract conceptualizing is good. A usable tool is
better.
The trick:
  1) Turn abstract conceptualizing into a requirements specification.
  2) Create a design, relating it to the requirements to ensure that the

       end result will achieve the intended goals.
  3) Implement, relating the implementation to the design.
  4) Debug, relating the required changes to the bugs that caused them
      so that you document the reasons for the violence done to the
original
      design.
  5) Double check to make sure the requirements are still satisfied.
      If not. Change the requirements. (Kidding!)

It's the software design life cycle in a nutshell.

  Hey Freelancers: Find your next project through JobSwarm!
  You can even make money in your sleep by referring friends.