Re: [unrev-II] Towards a DKR

From: Jack Park (jackpark@verticalnet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 07:34:44 PST

From: "Jack Park" <jackpark@verticalnet.com>

In truth, Gerald, I too am in favor of lively and healthy debate.

You mention an interesting area of debate, one that I have this teensy intuition is not to be settled anytime soon. You mention a David/OS with a consumer-friendly UI. Yup, that would do it for me. OTOH, while that discussion seems to be focussed on the Linux effort, there might be a sneaker creeping in the back door, "Ten." It is, underneath, a *nix box, and on the outside, it is a Mac. I have Linux on my Mac, and on my Wintel box as well. If OS X just happens, through open sourcing, to become available on all the boxes I and others use, that could dramatically, IMHO, change the competitive landscape. Apple was always for me the "little engine that could," but through a variety of historical events, came awfully close to being the "little engine that didn't." Time, of course, will tell.

Does this discussion group need a Magister Ludi? I still don't know.

Jack