Re: [unrev-II] Towards a DKR

Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 07:34:44 PST

In truth, Gerald, I too am in favor of lively and healthy debate.

You mention an interesting area of debate, one that I have this teensy intuition is not to be settled anytime soon. You mention a David/OS with a consumer-friendly UI. Yup, that would do it for me. OTOH, while that discussion seems to be focussed on the Linux effort, there might be a sneaker creeping in the back door, "Ten." It is, underneath, a *nix box, and on the outside, it is a Mac. I have Linux on my Mac, and on my Wintel box as well. If OS X just happens, through open sourcing, to become available on all the boxes I and others use, that could dramatically, IMHO, change the competitive landscape. Apple was always for me the "little engine that could," but through a variety of historical events, came awfully close to being the "little engine that didn't." Time, of course, will tell.

Does this discussion group need a Magister Ludi? I still don't know.

Jack
  ----- Original Message -----
  To: unrev-II@onelist.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2000 8:33 PM
  Subject: Re: [unrev-II] Towards a DKR

Actually, Jack, I am all in favor of the debate even if it takes forever. I believe that people have a need to be heard and if it is suppressed it crops up in all sorts of arcane and inexplicable ways that damage the enterprise. However, this debating need not get in the way of the improvement process and progress towards a goal. Look, for example, at the teaming ferment in the Linux open source community. The debate is humungus while the product is thriving. I expect a David/OS version with a good man-in-the-street GUI to be announced any day now that can take on the giant. Hmm, maybe we should be the creators. It could go for a modest price and fund the work that need to be done by Bootstrap.
  All of which brings up another point. I think that we need to learn to see places where a human cooperative process is succeeding. The mind, left to it's own devices, will tend to focus on failure. (Threats to survival) Hence good news doesn't sell and disasters do. Finding and adapting successful behavior is hard work given our biases, but nevertheless it is a needed skill and can be learned. I say it is right up there with "rewarding process focused systems" rather than "event focused". Both are needed, I think. Is this a "both, and" rather than a "either, or"? Who can tell?

Gerald Pierce qeds

Jack Park wrote:

(Snipped)
    I am wondering if we may need one because the debate that will ensue over what
    gets in or stays out of a DKR could easily (IMHO) drag on for the rest of
    this millenium.
    Just my $.02
    Jack Park

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click above to support our sponsor

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Community email addresses:
      Post message: unrev-II@onelist.com
      Subscribe: unrev-II-subscribe@onelist.com
      Unsubscribe: unrev-II-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      List owner: unrev-II-owner@onelist.com