[unrev-II] Search Engines...

From: Jon Winters (winters@obscurasite.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 10:00:35 PST

From: Jon Winters <winters@obscurasite.com>

Hi,

I ran across this today when performing my duties at work...

http://www.cs.sunysb.edu/~maxim/OpenGRiD/
<snip>
A new architecture for Internet searching, categorization, and ranking is
being implemented: it is to be contributed to, maintained, and controlled
collectively and consistently by all the people who surf and create the
Web pages.

Potential global implications of implementing the architecture seem to be
surprisingly substantial for many areas other than just Internet
searching.

The basic idea is to capture opinions of very many people about each Web
page in order to find out their weighted collective opinion about the
page; and then use that opinion as the main part of page description
(together with its title, keywords, text, etc.) when making a Web search.
That is, we will build a collaborative information filtering,
classification, and ranking system.
</snip>

I predict their use of a frames based proxy will not see widespread
adoption by the public because it hinders performance.

Still, its an interesting project that could be of use to bootstrappers.

--
Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/
OpenVerse  http://www.openverse.org/

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards Points, no hidden fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the credit you deserve. Apply now. Get your NextCard Visa at <a href=" http://clickme.onelist.com/ad/NextcardCreative1CI ">Click Here</a>