Re: [unrev-II] let's not reinvent things

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 15:21:48 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

Ron Goldman wrote:

> As discussion moves into particulars of how a DKR or OHS should be
> built, I think we might all benefit by actually reading some of the
> papers that Doug has written about those very details. After all he
> has given it some thought....

Good point. On my first scan several weeks ago, I found the papers
very "conceptual". Time to take another look to see about mining
them for specific requirements.

I'm curious -- what's your take on how those systems match the
requirements I posted previously?

I suspect that a reimplementation is in order -- but with an interface
to the existing repository, I hasten to add -- in order to take
advantage of the explosion in internet standards, GUI libraries,
object-oriented languages, and design patterns work that has occurred
since the 70's, when the original systems were built.

On the other hand, if we could come up with some reasonable interface
to the existing system, I suspect it would be a lot easier to manage
the design discussions for a new version using it, rather than email.

If nothing else, Augment and OHS undoubtedly present a very clear
picture
of the kinds of functionality that is required -- because it evolved
over a long period of time in response to the needs of its users.
So we should definitely mine those documents for requirements -- and
any user manuals or help systems we can find.

GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.