Re: [unrev-II] Re: Reference Materials, v0.5

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 13:57:07 PST

From: Eric Armstrong <eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com>

benay@dara-abrams.com wrote:

> Thank you for organizing the list of reference materials. In an
> earlier discussion a few weeks ago, I raised the issue of the
> importance
> of organizing information in some coherent way as one of the most
> important features of a DKR. I think that you have hereby transformed
> an important component of our discussion into a DKR. In keeping with
> the dynamic part
> of the name, how can we maintain and update the contents? Can we
> automate that function or does that still require a human such
> as yourself to condense and organize?

While automation would be wonderful, I suspect that it requires
too much "thought" from computational machinery as we know it
today. I'm all in favor of the research which addresses those
issues. I expect that one day it will be responsible for the next
major advance in technological capability.

For the foreseeable future, though, my feeling is that *augmenting*
human intelligence, rather than automating it, is the way to go.
We should focus on building the tools that make the "cybrarian"
role I have been playing into a no sweat, piece of cake operation.

When that function *can* be automated, that will be awesome.
I don't expect to see that before 2050, but I'll be quite
happy to be surprised.
:_)

Get what you deserve with NextCard Visa. Rates as low as 2.9 percent
Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR, online balance transfers, Rewards
Points, no hidden fees, and much more. Get NextCard today and get the
credit you deserve. Apply now. Get your NextCard Visa at