Re: [unrev-II] A terrific Knowledge-Management reference work

From: altintdev@webtv.net
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 13:33:56 PST

    From: altintdev@webtv.net

    Thanks for this reference to outsite. Gene Bellinger uses the categories
    of Data, Information, Knowledge, Wisdom and showed evolution to a usable
    and reusable product in that sequence. I used Experence, Knowledge,
    Learning with the main path of expected evolution from Experience to
    Learning to Knowledge. Any differences in the naming do not necessarily
    matter to me because the because I can normalize his model to mine by
    thnking that Wisdom is the application of Knowledge that is actually
    outside the repository space, but which will generate feedback into some
    or all parts of the repository.

    I think having a few simple high level categories of content in the
    repository is necessary not only because because it helps the user
    visualize the contents but it helps in defining the capabilites of the
    interface to each category. For example, the Experience area might make
    wide use of e-mail and newsgroup technologies, while accessing the
    Learning content may require use of higher level presentation tool, like
    html, to fully utilize the content.

    Whatever the categories, I think we must define a DKR specification by
    the ways we would expect the repository to be used by individuals in the
    team. A first step to defining this is to specify that there is always
    expected to be A, B, and C users of the repository. The A level user is
    primarily accessing Knowledge while occasionally adding content to
    Experience and Learning. The B level user is documenting Experience and
    organizing Learning and, working with the A users, possibly adding to or
    creating new Knowledge. The C users are supporting B (and possibly A)
    users to be certain that the repository is functional and scaled for the
    project. Thus, as a project starts out, there may be no A users (because
    there is no Knowledge?) but the repository is always developed with
    respect to the A user.

    This may limit confusion by helping the team to understand that the
    purpose of the repository is to generate Knowledge that an A may use to
    exhibit some productive Wisdom that may result in new feedack at the
    level of actual Experience and possibly Learning.

    Best Regards,
    Joe D Williams
    www.hypermultimedia.com/DKR/spec.htm