Re: [unrev-II] Executive initiative (Was: Survey 7, under the shower and over drinks)

From: Neil Scott (ngscott@arch.stanford.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 09:43:45 PST

    From: Neil Scott <ngscott@arch.stanford.edu>

    Response to Jon Winters

    This is Neil Scott at the Archimedes Project. I have several retired IBM
    folks assisting me to run the project and it is a marvelous help for me
    and inspiration to the younger members of the group. These guys bring
    wisdom and experience and make great mentors. I would love for you and
    others in your position to become involved in helping students organize
    their great ideas into solid plans for actually putting them into
    practice and, as well, helping them to see the gaps in their thinking.

    I am looking to a combination of older people and young people
    implementing Doug's ideas. The young people need to see that all the
    good ideas don't have to be brand new to be valid.

    You (And others) are welcome to come by for a chat sometime to see if
    you can help me build a practical implementation of Doug's DKR and
    Bootstrapping environment.

    Remember we are having an open house at Cordura Hall tomorrow, March 16,
    to discuss ways to build a DKR about technology that will help disabled
    and aging people, as well as anyone else who wants to throw away the
    keyboard and mouse...

    Neil Scott
    The Archimedes Project
    Stanford University

    Jon Winters wrote:

    > From: Jon Winters <winters@obscurasite.com>
    >
    > Being one of the younger participants I'm a little puzzled about the
    > usefulness of retired executives. (there may be a few who can help, don't
    > get me wrong)
    >
    > It has been my experience that executives don't understand technology and
    > they are very much in favor of old paradigms and the status quo.
    >
    > Look at all the success stories that have been started by teens or young
    > adults... Linux, Yahoo, Amp, Napster and countless others.
    >
    > The other day driving to work there was a story on NPR about a high school
    > freshman who was rejected when he wanted to take an advanced math course.
    > He used the spare time to write a program that would let you use popular
    > internet search engines anonymously. He sold the program for 1.5 million.
    > This kid can't even buy beer yet.
    >
    > How can we find ways to get young people interested in our projects?
    > --
    > Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/
    >
    > "Everybody loves the GIMP!"
    > http://www.gimp.org/

    > MAXIMIZE YOUR CARD, MINIMIZE YOUR RATE!
    > Apply NOW!

    PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
    Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as
    Apply NOW!