[unrev-II] Some background OHS-reference links

From: Doug Engelbart - Bootstrap Institute (doug@bootstrap.org)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 21:05:00 PST

    From: Doug Engelbart - Bootstrap Institute <doug@bootstrap.org>

    [NOTE: This was also emailed separately to the current participants in the
    formative "OHS Team."]

    The larger-scope OHS concepts have been evolving for almost thirty years --
    e.g. the description of essentially a Dynamic Knowledge Repository in the '72
    paper, "Coordinated Information Services for a Discipline- or Mission-Oriented
    Community." Already very apparent that "community" augmenation was to be of
    central importance.

       <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-12445.htm>

    Besides the twenty-five-year sequence of NLS/AUGMENT developer/application
    teams, probably the first "other OHS team" was inside McDonnell Douglas
    Aircraft Co. in mid '80s. We formulated plans for interlinking all the
    planning, design, manufacturing and field-support documents -- even including
    the CAD-system models. And then there was another group in later '80s
    involving people from other companies, like HP and Apple.

    These two experiences brought home the realizaion that the challenge was much
    bigger than any one company or product line. Actually, these experiences were
    a big part of the reason for me to pull out of MDC in '89 and team up with
    Chistina and her husband Howard to start the Bootstrap Institute.

    Early BI activity involved producing a series of 3-day professional seminars,
    in which the concepts were further developed -- and led to the two publications
    listed here, both of which are transported onto our Web site:

       "Knowledge-Domain Interoperability and an Open Hyperdocument System," 1990
       :: <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-132082.htm>

       "Toward High-Performance Organizations: A Strategic Role for Groupware",
       1992:: <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-132811.htm>

          Including: OHS Candidate-Feature List::
          <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-132811.htm#7>

    Then later, John Rothermell, a lead software engineer with TRW in Sunnyvale,
    wangled a couple of months to do a study of AUGMENT potential for supporting
    software engineering -- his OHS Technology Evaluation (OHSTE) Project. He dug
    back into detailed records of documents/email for the planning, design,
    implementation and field support of a completed software project; moved
    representative material into an AUGMENT environment, and did detailed
    assesments of the findings. This was early in the WWW emergence.

       His OHSTE Final Report <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-133265.htm>

       His AUGMENT Differentiators <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-133247.htm>

       His AUGMENT Comparison Categories
       <http://www.bootstrap.org/augment-133248.htm>

    And then, between '97 and '99 a small team of us rephrased the challenge as
    development of a "Technology Template Project, OHS Framework" and produced
    several interesting papers.

       A summary paper:: <http://www.bootstrap.org/alliance-980.htm>

          NOTE: You might experiment with the little links ("Outline 1 | 2 | 3 | 4|
    >All |" at the top of the page.

       And a page providing summary notes and links to many relevant papers --
       including those cited here:: <http://www.bootstrap.org/ohs/>

    And to round it out, you will find web-accessible refs to other of the key
    papers beginning with "the conceptual launcher" in 1962 -- at::

       <http://www.bootstrap.org/library.htm#2A>

    It's a thrill to have another active team. The general environment has changed
    dramatically; I think it's time we might see a launch "into orbit."

    Best, Doug

    GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds! Get rates as low as 0.0%
    Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW!