Re: [unrev-II] Lifestreams

From: Hirohide Yamada (hyamada@dd.catv.ne.jp)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 17:53:01 PDT

    One way is, and I can not think of the other at this moment, to change the
    definition of software industry to information utility industry so that
    we can do business with utility service with open source products.

    Jack Park wrote:

    > Once question: how does one build an industry when one is putting out the
    > key product as an open source (read: free) product? We're talking business
    > models here, I think.
    >
    > Jack
    >
    > From: Hirohide Yamada <hyamada@dd.catv.ne.jp>
    > > Eric Armstrong wrote:
    > > > That's why the Bootstrap effort must
    > > > be focused on creating an *industry*, not a product. There is no
    > > > substitute for the amount of marketing muscle, development capability,
    > > > and customer-education capacity of thousands of competing companies. No
    > > > single product or company can ever hope to make the same kind of
    > > > civilization-transforming dent in public consciousness.
    > >
    > > I really agree with this. Inorder for bootstrap efforts to work;
    > > (1) A company goals has to include objectives related to something beyond
    > the
    > > organization like industry and be supported by the other members.
    > > (2) An industry has to include agreed objectives beyond the industry like
    > > millenium issues.
    > > Those organization that has either (1) or (2) is the Type2 organization
    > > that Jeff Rulifson has defined I believe in his presentation.
    > >
    > > Hirohide Yamada Astec, Inc.

    > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds!
    > 1. Fill in the brief application
    > Apply NOW!

    LOW RATE, NO WAIT!
    Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates
    as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
    Apply NOW!