[unrev-II] Re: For Discussion: Early OHS development candidate vector

From: malcolmdean@earthlink.net
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 01:41:03 PDT

    Unless I have it wrong, this is one function of XLink. If so, why
    reinvent the wheel?

    --- In unrev-II@egroups.com, Doug Engelbart - Bootstrap Institute
    <doug@b...> wrote:

    > (Note: Originally submitted 5 Apr; something didn't work.)
    >
    > INTRODUCTION
    >
    > I keep returning to this "vector" again and again, and decided
    that it is
    > important to me as possibly the best course we could take. So
    let me
    > describe it; and then we can talk about it.
    >
    > It would defer until later some basic, and ultimately critical,
    parts of the
    > OHS Tool System Architecture -- e.g., integrated editing and
    multi-class
    > UIS. But it would have high immediate utility, and provide
    unique usage
    > experience to many "outside users," and especially to categories
    of web
    > users we'll want to have become seriously involved in subsequent
    > co-evolution.
    >
    > BASIC DESCRIPTION
    >
    > Heavy involvement of IBM's WBI (Beb-Based Intermediary)
    >
    > 1. Assume basic operational mode ...
    >
    > 1A. URLs targeted toward designated files would be
    intercepted by WBI

    > Likely have extended syntax to these "URLs" -- see below.
    >
    > 1B. WBI retrieves the designated file from the designated
    server

    > 1C. WBI "transcodes" the designated file into the transcoded-
    file form
    > which the user's browswer can access and display.
    >
    > Simple step -- if designated file is HTML, then the
    transcoding
    > employs reproducible algorithm to affix "purple numbers"
    as
    > target-tags-on, and links-to each paragraph ("label/link
    tags").

    > Every time this file goes through this retrieval and
    transcoding
    > process, it will have the same label/link tags affixed
    to the same
    > paragraphs, so that e.g. "#5B" on a user-transmitted
    URL would
    > always position her browser window to the same "5B-
    labelled"
    > paragraph.
    >
    > Added nicety -- INDIRECT LINKING: Special syntax on the
    initial URL
    > indicates, "go to position X in File Y, pick up the link
    there, then
    > do the above transcoding on that URL's designated file."
    >
    > Serious "OTHER-FILE LINKING" -- where the designated file
    is not one
    > which the browser can position or display. E.g., "native
    file forms"
    > of MS Word, Lotus Notes, ..., or especially software
    source-code,
    > requirements, specifications, status reports, user guides,
    etc.

    > The transcoding produces specialy structured and
    formatted HTML
    > (likely later extended into XML), with label/link
    additions.

    > Then, when files are transcoded into browser-readable
    form, the
    > transcoder would provide optional,
    additional "deliverable"
    > alterations to the content (and formatting/structuring) to
    create any
    > special "views."
    >
    > Considerable "co-evolution" here, exploring optional
    ways to do the
    > structuring, formatting and viewing.
    >
    > 1D. WBI sends the transcoded file to the user's browser to
    satisfy the
    > location/view specs held in the (extended-syntax) URL.
    >
    > 2. Staged goals:
    >
    > 2A. First, to get addressable label/link tags installed in
    our own
    > DKR-web email and docs.
    >
    > 2B. Then, general web documents -- so we can begin usefully
    to cite
    > specific passages in anybody's web pages.
    >
    > 2C. Then begin providing useful view options in our DKR
    email and docs
    > -- and on "out" to anybody's web pages..
    >
    > 2D. Then pick a target software-development environment:
    source-code
    > language? Likely trial-user communities?
    >
    > 2E. In collaboration with trial-user community, establish
    and implement
    > initial set of transcoding specs for project source code,
    requirements,
    > specs, project status reports, relevant email dialog, user
    docs, ...
    > toward a trial prototype software-development environment.
    >
    > NOTE: Of special potential, for a targeted user
    communities, would be
    > a/the Open-Source OHS-Developer Community.
    >
    > 2F. During all of this, establish a healthy set of user
    representatives
    > as active stakeholders in the co-evolution of human- and tool-
    system
    > development.
    >
    > 3. Somewhere in the above sequence, develop at least the
    framework for an
    > OHS architecture which would enable the integrated editing and
    other
    > whole-system operation.
    >
    > As funding and participatory interest emerge, the above
    sequence would be
    > modified appropriately.
    >
    > AND ... ***********
    >
    > This is all open for discussion; plus, there are interesting
    partnering
    > possibilities emerging with the Software Productiviey
    Consortium. And, ...
    > what companies/agencies/societies might be interested
    collaborators?
    > OpenGroup? ACM?
    >
    > Doug.

    1.6 Million Digital Images!