Re: [unrev-II] Re: For Discussion: Early OHS development candidate vector

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 18:54:49 PDT

    malcolmdean@earthlink.net wrote:

    > Unless I have it wrong, this is one function of XLink. If so, why
    > reinvent the wheel?

    XLink is not a "transcoding" option like WBI, but rather a mechanism
    for creating links.

    XPointer, on the other hand, would allow you to specify "the
    3rd bullet under the 2nd heading", without the requirement for
    transcoding, but that would not be a terribly friendly mechanism
    by itself -- you would still need the transcoding option to create
    an icon on the page that could then be dragged into your message,
    to use that link.

    So WBI and XLink/XPointer could reasonably work hand-in-hand.

    That is, they *could*, if we were working with well-formed and
    well-structured XML pages, instead of HTML, which is neither.
    (Even XHTML, which is well-formed, is unlikely to be well-structured).

    Whatever you want, chances are you'll find it at one of the hundreds
    of sites in The PointClick Network--like Disney.com, eCost.com,
    FogDog.com and many more. You get paid as you shop and an additional
    10% off any purchase, anytime.