Re: [unrev-II] GOOD: Traction, by Twisted Systems

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 19:26:37 PDT

    I think it's a bit unfair to make the judgement without
    at least a conversation on the issue.

    Like I said, this is the closest thing to a usable OHS/DKR
    I have seen to date. They've solved a heckuva a lot of
    problems I've been wrestling with. If they chose to limit
    their activities to one browser, there are several possible
    explanations:

      1. Innocence
         Expecting things to operate reasonably in different
         browsers, not realizing that the world is so fundamentally
         flawed that corporations are incapable of rudimentary
         cooperation.

      2. Focus
         Choosing to focus on knowledge-domain issues, rather
         than the idiotic necessity of dealing with browser
         differences.

      3. Constraints
         Simply not having the time and people necessary to design
         for multiple environments.

      4. Functionality
         The browser they chose may give them needed functionality
         they really can't get otherwise.

    I'm going to assume that the jury is still out on this one.
    I wonder, too, why it *wouldn't* work in Netscape (if it
    wouldn't). Maybe Mozilla was not available, and an XML-based
    browser was a requirement? Dunno.

    Avoid the lines and visit avis.com for quick and easy online
    reservations. Enjoy a compact car nationwide for only $29 a day!
    Click here for more details.