[unrev-II] MySQL License

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 14:34:20 PDT

    Here is one reasonable licensing model:
      http://www.mysql.com/Manual_chapter/manual_Licensing_and_Support.html

    Some excerpts:

    "Basically, our licensing policy is as follows:

    For normal internal use, MySQL generally costs nothing. You do not have
    to pay us if you do not want to.

    A license is required if:
    --You sell the MySQL server directly or as a part of
      another product or service
    --You charge for installing and maintaining a MySQL server
      at some client site
    --You include MySQL in a distribution that is non redistributable
      and you charge for some part of that distribution

    If you use MySQL in a commercial context such that you profit by its
    use, we ask that you further the development of MySQL by purchasing some
    level of support. We feel that if MySQL helps your business, it is
    reasonable to ask that you help MySQL. (Otherwise, if you ask us support
    questions, you are not only using for free something into which we've
    put a lot a work, you're asking us to provide free support, too.)

    Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
    Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
    registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here: