Re: [unrev-II] MySQL License

From: Eric Armstrong (eric.armstrong@eng.sun.com)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 22:32:09 PDT

    Lee Iverson wrote:

    > The MySQL license is definitely interesting but it is on the edge of
    > the Open Source definition. Drawing a direct distinction between
    > commercial/non-commercial uses is a problem.

    Am now clear on that point thanks to Jon's forward from ER.

    > The fundamental issue is whether we are trying to build an application
    > or to build the foundation for an industry. In my opinion, there is
    > no question: an industry. In order to do that we need to worry about
    > some very basic things:
    > o Simple standards
    > & Broad interoperability
    > & Very low-effort buy in
    > => Open source infrastructure

    Yeah.

    > Moreover, if we really want broad industry support for the standards,
    > the infrastructure needs to be a component which can be easily
    > incorporated into commercial (and proprietary) software. That argues
    > strongly for a BSD-style or LGPL rather than the full-fledged GPL.

    Ok.

    > Now, how do you make money in the context of an open standard and open
    > source infrastructure? I think we need to think both as a group and
    > as individuals on that point.

    Yes, yes, yes.

    > As a group, we're essentially in on the
    > ground floor of what we hope will be a whole industry. Funding this
    > effort by inviting stakeholders in on the ground floor of the
    > development of standards for enterprise-ready productivity tools
    > shouldn't be too hard once we clearly articulate what our plan is.
    >
    > As far as our individual opportunities for business development go,
    > I'd say look to the Internet and Web for that. Whether or not
    > anybody's eBusiness stocks are presently going anywhere or not, I
    > don't think that anybody could argue that there isn't an industry
    > there. Significantly, all of the infrastructure of the Web (from DNS
    > to XML) has been built on open source development and simple, open
    > standards. Being in on the ground floor of that development should
    > give all of us a head start in attempting to define and exploit that
    > incipient industry.

    If THEY will buy it, I'll sell it.
    But the recent bath in the stock market has probably voided much of the
    massive optimism that preceded it. Call me crazy, but I think a viable
    business model is still a requirement. On the other hand, *somebody* has
    been funding the non-profit dot-com industry...